Sunday, January 30, 2011

School...on Saturday??

This semester Jordan has a lot of classes on the weekend so I have to find some things to do to entertain the kids. This weekend we went to the Fountain of Youth. It's not our first time there but they were doing a School of the 16th Century! So the kids got to learn about some things from the past. For those of you who haven't been the fountain of youth is more that just a fountain, which the water is so nasty and it doesn't seem to be working for me! They own a few acres and it's very pretty land. They have a little camp set up of the native indians. There's a planetarium and a few other things like that , I think they are very dated so we didn't go to them again. They do cannon demonstrations. They also have peacocks all over (last time we went a male peacock attacked our car because it saw it's reflection in it and thought it had some competition, we still have the scratches!) The kids had fun and it was a great Saturday afternoon activity...and best of all it was free!!

If anyone wants to come visit St. Augustine we only have a couple of months left! I've turned into a pretty good tour guide and we would love to have visitors!

These are some of the original cannons! They were some of Jayla's favorite, but she hated the real ones that they demonstrated

This guy taught Jordan about weapons from the 16th century. He also like watching the guy who was making bullets. He melted down the metal and then poured it in to a mold. Seemed like a lot of work to me!

I think it's a little big Jayla!

They have peacocks all over! I don't know if I have ever seen a white peacock, aren't they beautiful?!

Jayla kept eating the bread that we brought to feed the peacocks. But she was very brave and let them eat out of her hand.

3 comments:

John and Melodie said...

Wow that does look like so much fun. I wish we could come visit. The weather looks so nice there.

Katie said...

I remember the good ole fountain of youth...ya the water was nasty and had no affect on me either.

Soon enough your brainstorming for weekend activities with just you and the kids will be over!!! I can't believe you're almost done! Maybe you could venture to the land of east Texas...Jordan and Jordan would LOVE the sports atmosphere. :) And you would love getting student loans paid off quicker...just sayin...

Nicolette said...

Oh, I miss St. Augustine! Have you guys found a house yet? Where is the town again where Jordan will be working? My brother is in Cordele, GA on his mission (I probably told you that already) which is in South Georgia. Graduation is in a month!!! Exciting!